What is Hacktoberfest?
Is that perfect moment of the year to contribute to open source projects in case you've never done it before.
Hacktoberfest is an annual event hosted by DigitalOcean which happens during the whole month of October and has been running for 6 years and in this year (2020) will be the 7th anniversary!!
How it works?
- Go to https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/ then enter your email to wait for the final announcement.
- Once you get the email, you will see in the website a list projects where you can contribute. The projects are developed in many different technologies like
Javaand many more so you will have a lot of options to choose to offer your help as a developer.
- Then you should open the repository of the project or projects where you want to contribute to and make a fork into your personal Github account.
- Look into the opened issues with the tag
hacktoberfest, pick one and start working on it.
- Once you have finished the task of the issue you took, test as much as possible to ensure the desire functionality to finally push the code to your forked repository.
- Submit a Pull Request to the owner's repository and wait for the approval.
- You need to have at least 4 Pull Requests approved to mark your Hacktoberfest as completed!! But make sure to help in more open source projects 🙂
I have participated two times and I truly enjoy to be involved in this event. At the end you will receive a reward which in the past years has been an awesome T-shirt with some cool stickers from the partners like these.
I can assure you that you will learn a lot from this event!